Saturday, July 3, 2010

"In the name of..." Fourth Of July Edition



"Pride (In the Name of Love)" is a song I never understood till years after it came out. I thought it was just another hokey U2 tune, until someone pointed out it was about Martin Luther King.

Misunderstanding what we are proud of, or forgetting while we are proud, was the inspiration behind my latest column, "In the name of...".

I'm always surprised (and pleased) when straight people read my column and say, "you know, this is how it is in the straight world, too." I don't really think of gay vs. straight, and I think most issues are universal. There are particulars, of course, but human foibles and human folly and human wonderment is all the same.

So, be proud. I know that I am. Enjoy the fireworks, yours, your friends', or the ones in your heart.

Sincerely,
David Toussaint

PS: I miss Farrah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment